JLPT N5 - Lesson 12 - Vocabulary - Words Related to Family Members

Japanese vocabulary related to family members and relations

Here we will learn about the words those related to family members and relations such as - father, mother brother sisters etc. There are two different terms used addressing Japanese family members - one term is used for referreing one's own family members and another term is used for reffering someone's family members.

For example, ちち refers to own father, literally 'my father'. And おとうさん refers to your/other's father. When I say to you 'おとうさんはどうですか?' Means how is your father? In reply may be you need to say ちちは やさしいです。 おとうさんもやさしいひとですね!. My father is kind, your father also kind person, right!.

Please note when a word ends with '~さん' means this word refers not to one's own relations or family.

はは(my) motherおかあさん(your/other's) mother
あに(my)elder brotherおにいさん(your/other's) elder brother
あね(my)elder sisterおねえさん(your/other's) elder sister
おとうと(my)younger brother  おとうとさん  (your/other's) younger brother
いもうと(my)younger sisterいもうとさん(your/other's) younger sister
そふ(my)grandfatherおじいさん(your/other's) grandfather
そぼ(my)grandmotherおばあさん(your/other's)grandmother
おじ(my)uncleおじさん(your/other's)uncle
おば(my)auntおばさん(your/other's)aunt
おっと(my)husbandごしゅじん(your/other's) husband
つま(my)wifeおくさん(your/other's) wife
むすこ(my)sonむすこさん  (your/other's) son
むすめ  (my)daughterおじょうさん(your/other's)daughter

Words refer to relationships

かぞくfamily
りょうしん  parents
きょうだいsibling
こどもchild
いとこcousin
しんせきrelatives

Other related words:

ちちおや = Father / Male parent

ははおや = Mother / Female parent

けっこん = Marriage

どくしん = Single

けっこんしていますか。[kekkon shiteimasuka?] = Are you married?

けっこんしています。[kekkon shiteimasu.] = I am married.

どくしんです。[dokushin desu.] I am single.

Level N5 Kanji

ちち
はは  
あに
あね
こども子供
おっと
ごしゅじんご主人

Comments

Popular Posts

JLPT N5 - Verb List

JLPT N5 - Lesson 3 - Hiragana Part 1

JLPT N5 Lesson 19: Counting and Counter Words

JLPT N5 - Lesson 4 - Hiragana Part 2 - Dakuon and Handakuon

JLPT N5 - Lesson 1 - Why Japanese Language

JLPT N5 - Lesson 5 - Katakana Part 1

JLPT N5 Resources - Vocabulary List 01

JLPT N5 Lesson 20: Asking Questions

JLPT N5 - Lesson 9 - Japanese Particles Inrtroduction

JLPT N5 - Lesson 8 - Japanese Everyday Greetings

Flag Counter